Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sauna Deco - Amsterdam

After leaving Germany, I arrived in Amsterdam.  Still loving my Baden Baden sauna experience, I found a similar, but much smaller, place in a nice area of the city called Sauna Deco.  Again, regardless of Amsterdam's reputation, all the saunas I'm describing here are meant for health and relaxation - nothing more.

Sauna Deco, as the name implies, has an art-deco style interior.  The entrance looks like a standard row house.  Once you enter, you walk down a hall, pay the attendant, then go into the uni-sex changing room.  Unlike Caracalla, both men and women undress in full view of each other. But you're going to see everything momentarily anyway, so it's no big deal.  After leaving the locker room, it's time for a quick shower.  Then the next room, a good-sized sauna.  The same rules as Caracalla apply regarding towels, silence, etc.  After the sauna - you're free to explore on your own.  A cold plunging pool is a bit further down the hall, and feels great after the sauna.  There are chairs, loungers, magazines, books, and a bar with food and drink.  You can book a massage if you wish in a private room (again, no funny business!).  Downstairs, there's a steam room much like Caracalla's, only smaller.  I went on a weekday evening, and there were about eight or nine other people with me at the height.  Mostly men, but a few women came and went.  Again, the goal is to relax - and that's exactly how it feels.  Relaxing.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, I had to use Photoshop to enlarge the image without getting pixelated (you should reward me for that LOL). The art-deco style interior of this Sauna is quite classy, Greg. I'm not surprised, though. Most saunas that I've been to in Amsterdam are very respectable saunas, and this one is no different :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to me it is one of the best post on sauna that i have read in my life. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting Article. Hoping that you will continue posting an article having a useful information. Hiking in Switzerland

    ReplyDelete